*THE BG SPOT*
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What's something about you that others may or may not know?

3 posters

Go down

What's something about you that others may or may not know? Empty What's something about you that others may or may not know?

Post  Billyfan2006 Tue May 18, 2010 1:49 pm

Okay...I thought maybe we could all learn something knew about each other. Just post something that people may or may not know about you. Here's mine.

I thought maybe I would explain about my blindness...I was born blind. I had my first surgery when I was 13 days old. You see, I had a cateract, which was in the shape of a tornado.

What is a cataract? Cataract: Gradual clouding of the crystalline lens resulting in reduced vision or eventual blindness, correctable by cataract surgery. (Now you can't say you didn't learn anything today.)

I was one of the lucky ones. Normally, they don't catch what I had/have until kindergarten. They caught mine when I was 13 DAYS OLD! Because they messed with it when i was so young, they caught it before I was completely blind. You see...I can only see 5ft away, color and movement through my Left eye. For example, if I was looking at a TV in front of me, that has to be about 10 ft in front of me (Because of my left eye, my distance is off.) and I can tell that one of the people has a red shirt on, and someone else has a white shirt on, but other then that, I don't know a thing. Can't tell faces or what's on the shirts etc etc. My right is completely okay. I wear glasses to protect my Right eye, because the doc told me that if ANYTHING, and I mean ANYTHING, hit that eye, I could instantly be blinded in the right eye.

And because they messed with it, I now have glaucoma in my left eye. (Glaucoma is an eye condition that develops when too much fluid pressure builds up inside of the eye. ) To keep the pressure down, I have to take drops EVERY SINGLE NIGHT for the REST OF MY LIFE. I also have to go to the eye doctor every 6 months the REST OF MY LIFE. My left eye got so high before they caught it, that it almost blew up. Now, that's scary...let me tell you. Not something you want a doctor to tell you when your eyes are very important, and you could lose sight in a snap of a finger.

If you have any questions, just leave them and I'll answer them. No question about my eyes or sight is off limits, and don't be afraid to ask. I want people to understand all about this.

Jess
Billyfan2006
Billyfan2006

http://billygilmanfanfictions.l.makeforum.org/

Back to top Go down

What's something about you that others may or may not know? Empty Re: What's something about you that others may or may not know?

Post  Autum Tue May 18, 2010 10:05 pm

Awesome topic, Jess! This is an excellent way for us BillyCentics to get acquainted with each other and connect!

Here are a few things you guys may not know about me:
-I'm multiracial. By that I mean my parents are of different ethnicities and I've grown up in a multicultural family. But half of my family are big Tennessee musicians, so Nashville and Bluegrass and Country music is really close to my heart!

-I have type 1 diabetes-- just found that out about 6 weeks ago. It's really scary at first, but I'm learning to live with it.

- I enjoy working with special needs people. For the past 4 years, I've worked closely with kids with Autism, and I'm going into neuroscience to try and help some of these people.

Any questions any of you have for me or Jess, don't hesitate to ask!
Autum
Autum
Admin
Admin

http://www.billygilmancentral.net

Back to top Go down

What's something about you that others may or may not know? Empty Re: What's something about you that others may or may not know?

Post  Autum Tue May 18, 2010 10:10 pm

Billyfan2006 wrote:
I thought maybe I would explain about my blindness...I was born blind. I had my first surgery when I was 13 days old. You see, I had a cateract, which was in the shape of a tornado.

What is a cataract? Cataract: Gradual clouding of the crystalline lens resulting in reduced vision or eventual blindness, correctable by cataract surgery. (Now you can't say you didn't learn anything today.)

I was one of the lucky ones. Normally, they don't catch what I had/have until kindergarten. They caught mine when I was 13 DAYS OLD! Because they messed with it when i was so young, they caught it before I was completely blind. You see...I can only see 5ft away, color and movement through my Left eye. For example, if I was looking at a TV in front of me, that has to be about 10 ft in front of me (Because of my left eye, my distance is off.) and I can tell that one of the people has a red shirt on, and someone else has a white shirt on, but other then that, I don't know a thing. Can't tell faces or what's on the shirts etc etc. My right is completely okay. I wear glasses to protect my Right eye, because the doc told me that if ANYTHING, and I mean ANYTHING, hit that eye, I could instantly be blinded in the right eye.

And because they messed with it, I now have glaucoma in my left eye. (Glaucoma is an eye condition that develops when too much fluid pressure builds up inside of the eye. ) To keep the pressure down, I have to take drops EVERY SINGLE NIGHT for the REST OF MY LIFE. I also have to go to the eye doctor every 6 months the REST OF MY LIFE. My left eye got so high before they caught it, that it almost blew up. Now, that's scary...let me tell you. Not something you want a doctor to tell you when your eyes are very important, and you could lose sight in a snap of a finger.

Jess! Wow! Very emotional story!

I am very thankful that they caught your cataract so early in life! That is truly a blessing! Also... man, that is mind-blowing that you have to take eye drops every single night for the rest of you life. I am so sorry you have glaucoma-- that has got to be painful! I can't even stand it when sinus pressure builds up around my eye, so I know glaucoma has got to be a true pain! And your eye almost exploded?! Thank GOD they caught that! That would have been utterly horriffic!

You take care of yourself and keep us updated!
Autum
Autum
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Billyfan2006 Wed May 19, 2010 1:12 pm

Autum wrote:Jess! Wow! Very emotional story!

I am very thankful that they caught your cataract so early in life! That is truly a blessing! Also... man, that is mind-blowing that you have to take eye drops every single night for the rest of you life. I am so sorry you have glaucoma-- that has got to be painful! I can't even stand it when sinus pressure builds up around my eye, so I know glaucoma has got to be a true pain! And your eye almost exploded?! Thank GOD they caught that! That would have been utterly horriffic!

You take care of yourself and keep us updated!

I am very thankful too. The glaucoma is a true pain. It hurts, man does it hurt. Try about 10x worse then sinus pressure, and you just about have it. I would never want this to happen to anyone, not even my worst enemy. If I feel pain in that eye during the day, I have to take yet another eye drop for it. As of yet, there is no cure for what I have. The only thing right now is the eye drops.

Fortantly, there is no chance that I'll pass this to my children when I have them, for which I'm thankful. Smile Mom and I have talked about that lots of times, and decided that I'm still going to tell the birth doctor when it's time so he can look for that...just in case.

Jess
Billyfan2006
Billyfan2006

http://billygilmanfanfictions.l.makeforum.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  melisabgfanforlife Wed May 19, 2010 8:40 pm

Let see something you guys dont't know about me.Let me see I am a huge billy gilman fan do u guys know who that is??????????? Just jokeing

Well I was boring with a disability called Cerebral palsy I weight 2 pounds and 2 ounces when i was born i was not suppoed to live .I have a talking and a walking prob.I have had over 50 surgry during my life time so far.Because of my walking prob i can't walk for a long period of time.I am sometime very hard to understand but not if i take my time.I went through high school and graudate normally like everyone eles
melisabgfanforlife
melisabgfanforlife
Recruiter
Recruiter

Back to top Go down

Post  Autum Thu May 20, 2010 11:41 am

melisabgfanforlife wrote:Let see something you guys dont't know about me.Let me see I am a huge billy gilman fan do u guys know who that is??????????? Just jokeing

Well I was boring with a disability called Cerebral palsy I weight 2 pounds and 2 ounces when i was born i was not suppoed to live .I have a talking and a walking prob.I have had over 50 surgry during my life time so far.Because of my walking prob i can't walk for a long period of time.I am sometime very hard to understand but not if i take my time.I went through high school and graudate normally like everyone eles

Melissa, thanks for sharing that. I knew you told me you had cerebral palsy but I did not know you were premature and not supposed to live or that you had went through over 50 surgeries. That is amazing! God obviously wanted you to be here on Earth and you have a purpose!

I just want to say, guys, that I have met Melissa in person. And despite the fact that she has cerebral palsy, she is a completely normal person just like anyone else! And most people with a disability are! I'm glad I've met Melissa! She is great, guys!
Autum
Autum
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Autum Thu May 20, 2010 11:43 am

Billyfan2006 wrote:

Fortantly, there is no chance that I'll pass this to my children when I have them, for which I'm thankful. Smile

That is wonderful that this is not hereditary and can't be passed on to your kids!
Autum
Autum
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum